Saturday 23 May 2009

Am I a critic?

Whilst taking a shower, I was could not help but think about certain aspects of my life.
Last night Yasha asked to read something she had written and to comment candidly on it.
A series of thoughts then triggered off a memory and a cynical thought set on the porch of Mrs Datta's office.

We used to study Thomas Hardy. I never liked him. But the question I posed was- why is he so renowned? what makes him stand out from the rest. Something makes me unsure to think that there was no other author that wrote quite like him. But really what is it that makes him to worthy to study in an elective english class?

and then again what gives me the license to be a critic?
Do I have this pleasure of taking apart his hard work, because his hidden meanings and insinuations are no longer acceptable or understood by the 21st century scholar?

I am a cynic. We all know that. I believe that men are assholes, and women are bitches. Therefore, when Thomas Hardy subtly describes the cruelties and suppression done unto women, I am confused as to who to mock more- him for writing about it, but not actually doing anything about, or the woman who can't hold her own.

4 comments:

  1. don't you get it, cynicism is cool now.

    as for Tess, yea she's worth mocking now and then.

    and did I ask you as a critic or a cynic, I think not. I wanted to know what it made you think/feel and just that. No compliments or nothing. If you felt nothing then nothing is good. But I guess it brought out your inner cynic which is sort of understandable considering the piece unless it brought out the cynic because I was being the opposite of cynical which is also cool.

    Ramble = my new neutral it seems. Btw, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cynic of critic?
    Well i am a cynic first, because it is my nature. Then I am a critic because I have had a few minutes to think things over and am able to hence, evaluate the situation.

    I guess I kind of answer my own question.LOL

    and what u sent me- well i was a cynic at first, as i said, but then i read it 3 more times and it could have swayed me either way. As mentioned to u it tipped over in to the positive, because ur real, an humourously sarcastic. it made me chuckle-and that cant be a bad thing!
    BTW:Totally love u too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I won't say that Hardy's hidden meanings and insinuations aren't acceptable to a 21st century scholar. Yes 21 c writers are more blatant but sometimes I like them subtler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, i agree i like the subtler, because it does really get ur thinking thing thinking.
    and the simplicity with which a writer writes today has lost all beauty of captivating the reader...most of time. BUT on the other hand, we have a lot of Indian authors who try to imbibe just that in their books and who make failed attempts at writing eloquently. it is lost on me though, because instead of moving me with their words, they are writing bullshit.


    PS Im completely off the topic here :P

    ReplyDelete