Thursday 6 February 2014

Frankfurt Christmas Market

It is two days before Christmas. When I was a child, till about the age of 9, we did celebrate some kind of rendition of the birth of Jesus.

It was festive, homely, usually involving a tree and a few badly wrapped presents sprawled out on the living room centre table. All in all, simply nice.

During Christmas in 2012 I found myself having a terrible clenching feeling inside, knowing that I would not be with my family during this festive period. So, I brought the festivity to my house in Mumbai.

Yes, my cousin and partner were a little taken aback, for celebrating this festival was not really their 'thing'. Also, it is pretty warm where I live. It did feel a little strange to me, too. But it had to be done.

The plastic tree was bought, decorated and the gifts were wrapped. It was not the same, but it wasn't so tragic either.

Last christmas, which isn't too far in the past, I was home ( by complete default) and the famous, lavish Christmas Market of Frankfurt was just beginning.
Whilst shopping in the unusually crowded streets, I did not pay much attention to the cotton candy and popcorn stalls set up all around the main shopping street of the city.

It just so happened, though, that on the last and final day I was out meeting a friend for coffee. It being a sunday no one was out to buy anymore gifts- the shops were after all closed on this day. The lists were ticked off (or were about to be if people were thinking of giving Glühwein and Lebkuchen hearts to their loved ones!).

I don't know how, but somehow my dear friend and I took to our feet and set out on a mission to explore the entire market one last time. I came to realise I had never actually actively been to this famous 'exhibition' of arts, crafts and delectable items.

Although it was cold and drizzling a bit, we didn't take much notice of our shaking fingers and red noses. We were just two old friends, walking arm in arm to explore and have a great time, completely imbibe the aura of happiness and warmth that seem to radiate from every corner of the Römerplatz in downtown.

Alright, I won't say anymore. Here are some pictures :)

Oh also, we met a very talkative English chap who had just arrived from Kent to meet his German girlfriend. I wonder how they managed to drag that suitcase through the crowds !












No comments:

Post a Comment